National Dog Day is celebrated on August 26th each year. Founded in 2004 by Pet & Family Lifestyle Expert and Animal Advocate, Colleen Paige, National Dog Day is intended to raise public awareness of the number of dogs that are in rescue, and acknowledges family dogs and those that work selflessly each day to save lives, keep us safe and bring comfort.
There are lots of ways you can celebrate and support National Dog Day. Here are a few suggestions:
- Adopt a dog from a local shelter or rescue. If you can’t adopt, then volunteer to help or walk dogs at the facility, or foster a rescue.
- Donate needed items to a local rescue or shelter. Blankets, dishes, toys, leashes, collars, food and especially cash are always needed, and many organizations also have a ‘wish list’ you can request to see.
- Volunteer to walk or play with the dog of someone who is unable to do so themselves.
- Make a donation to a local reputable service dog organization.
- Take a photo of your dog and post it to Social Media with the hashtag #NationalDogDay to help raise awareness and enter their photo contest!
- Hug your dog! Play with your dog! Take your dog for a walk or a play at a local dog park. Give him a special tasty treat. After all, this day is all about him!
- At the end of the day, spend some quality cuddle time with your pooch and cherish the unconditional love he/she has for you.
Have fun celebrating dogs and find your own ways to raise awareness for the plight of so many dogs waiting for their forever homes, and those who make our lives better by the jobs they do, or just by being there.
Photo courtesy of Tiffany Sullivan
“Since buying NOW FRESH™ Grain Free Adult…he devours his meals, and can’t wait for the bowl to be put out twice a day. He is healthy and thriving, thanks in part to your quality products.”