Take Your Dog to Work Day was originally conceived by Pet Sitters International, this event has gathered steam over the last few years as employers realize the many benefits of dogs in the workplace.
You might need to lobby your company’s management to allow dogs to come to work, but the benefits are worth the effort. Here’s a link to an action pack to help you convince your company it’s a great idea and a list of ways to make it all happen.
A few tips before you and Spot head for the office:
- Be honest with yourself and decide if Spot is office-worthy. If he tends to be shy, fearful or overly enthusiastic about life in general, it might be best to leave him at home. If you decide he’s good to go, make sure he’s on leash at all times.
- Make sure Spot’s shots are up to date.
- Make sure Spot is spotless! Give him a nice bath, nail trim and a good brushing on Thursday so he looks and smells his best when he meets your boss and co-workers.
- Brush up on Spot’s manners. A little last minute reinforcement of what makes him a ‘good dog’ is never a bad idea. No jumping up, keep your feet on the floor, don’t be too pushy with other pups in the office or any humans you encounter, and remember silence is golden – no barking or howling please!
- Make sure Spot can be secured somehow in your office or work area so he isn’t pestering other dogs and people. At the same time, puppy proof your work area by moving things like cables, printers, calculators and other electronics out of harm’s way.
- Bring a bowl for water, some treats, a blanket or bed, and poop bags to pick up when you go on potty breaks.
- Once at work, do not force coworkers to interact with your pup. Just because you are thrilled with having your four legged companion by your side all day does not mean everyone at your workplace is. Not everyone is a dog lover and some are even very fearful of dogs, so please respect their choice not to interact with your dog.
With a little planning and work ahead of time, Take Your Dog to Work Day can be tons of fun! Enjoy!!
“When I found GO! DAILY DEFENCE™ Chicken recipe, and saw it was made in Canada, I bought the bag and have never looked back. The first thing I noticed was the change in Bailey’s coat, it had a softness and shine to it that wasn’t there before. Her teeth are in great shape.”